Monday 16 May 2016

WIP: Summer by the Sea lap quilt

Phew. Back in London after a week long trip to my parents' place and my nose is quite firmly back to the grindstone already. 

I had a great trip and, despite rather painful eye surgery, TQQ and I successfully ticked off a lot of my sewing to do list, including:
  • 3 repaired work dresses
  • 2 adjusted blouses
  • Tiny's baby quilt finished
  • Tiny's big girl quilt almost finished (just the the  borders left to quilt, the binding to attach and currently working on the quilt label)...

... and one new quilt top started. Here it is:

Salt air Summer by the Sea quilt top (work in progress)

I love this fabric line from Moda / Cosmo Cricket but, unfortunately, discovered it rather too late. I stocked up on any bits and pieces I could get my hands on but have been having trouble deciding what exactly to make with my precious stash.

In the end, I decided on a lap quilt for myself. Thanks to the pre-cut jelly roll strips this came together really quickly. 


Step 1:
Sew together strips in sections of 5 each


Step 2
Cut to 2.5" wide strips
 
Step 3
Plan and assemble quilt top


It's currently only about 100 x 80cm (approx. 38" x 31") so I'm going to add a couple of borders. I have quite a lot of the blue sections left so I'm planning a 2" white border followed by 2" blue squares, and then a final 2" white border. That should increase the finished size to about 130 x 110 cm. I'm currently debating whether to make the white borders a bit wider - maybe 4". What do you think?

Quilting love,
me xx

6 comments:

  1. This is lovely! And I love that it is for your very own :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really should make more quilts just for me. I'm considering hand quilting it to make it extra special (and it's only little so it shouldn't take tooooooo long)

      Delete
  2. I love this! That fabric is beautiful and I love the design you are using. I can't wait to see the finished quilt. The very best quilts are the ones you get to keep for yourself, made with your favorite fabrics. I'm happy this beauty is yours to keep! Thanks so much for sharing this on Main Crush Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Beth! I totally agree - the best quilts are the ones you keep for yourself and snuggle up under on the sofa with a cup of tea :0

      Delete
  3. I had a charm pack of Salt Air and it was the same for me. I fell in love with it too late. There wasn't any more available. =/ Your quilt is lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! All this limited edition fabric collection stuff is the bane of my quilting existence. I keep doing this - falling in love with a design well after it has gone out of production :(

      Delete